Ladies (and some gentlemen), are you considering getting your first Brazilian wax but the horror stories about the pain are preventing you from taking the plunge? Are you ready to get rid of your bush for the summer but don’t know where to start? Are ungodly ingrown hairs from shaving doing a number on your self-esteem? Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get through your first wax appointment as painless as possible.
1) Be Mindful Of Aunt Flow – Is your period on the way? If so, it’s best you stay home. Your body, especially your pubic area, is more sensitive in the days leading up to your period. So, if you start to sense that Aunt Flow will be paying you a visit this week, schedule your wax appointment for the week after.
2) Come Hairy – Bikini waxes are far more painful when there’s not enough hair for the wax to grasp on to. To avoid the wax taking off more skin than actual hair, try not to shave before your wax appointment. Allow the hair to grow at least a quarter of an inch long.
3) Exfoliate – Before your wax appointment, it’s important to not only make sure you are CLEAN but that you exfoliate the pubic area. Gently exfoliating with an exfoliating cloth or sugar scrub will get rid of the top layer of dead skin, allowing the hair to come out a bit easier.
4) Skip The Caffeine – Skip out on the Coke and coffee at least 4 hours prior to your appointment. Caffeine constricts your blood flow, causing you to be more sensitive. Also, make sure you are hydrated. Skip out on the Coke and grab a water or two.
5) Take Something For The Pain – Don’t be afraid to pop an Advil or Tylenol 20-30 minutes prior to your wax appointment. There are also a few topical relievers, like numbing spray or creams. Depending on your threshold for pain, you may actually feel the difference.
6) Know What Works For You – Don’t be afraid to try different wax methods to determine what works best for you. For some, hard wax is less painful than wax strips. For others, sugaring is less painful than both. Maybe laser hair removal is your cup of tea. You’re ripping hair from your skin so it’s not realistic to believe you will feel absolutely nothing. However, everyone is different and if you can minimize the pain, do your best. It’s also best to RESEARCH! Do your due diligence by reading Yelp reviews and going to places that specialize in hair removal.
7) Keep It Up! – The more regularly you maintain your wax, the less pain you will feel. Plus, a good wax will leave your bikini area soft and smooth for weeks. You can’t beat those kinds of results!
It’s also worth mentioning that you should continue an exfoliating routine after waxing. Exfoliating 2 or 3 times a week is highly recommended. Also, it is recommended that you do not engage in exercise or sex 24 hours after your wax and avoid hot showers that day. Your pores are open and sweat can cause an infection.