Home / News / CNN Sues Trump Administration On First Amendment Grounds Over Jim Acosta Press Ban

CNN Sues Trump Administration On First Amendment Grounds Over Jim Acosta Press Ban

CNN has taken the Trump Administration to court on First Amendment grounds after Donald Trump revoked Jim Acosta’s from press access. 

The relationship between Trump and CNN has become more frayed after the White House released doctored videos of Acosta blocking a White House aide from forcibly taking the microphone from him during a press conference. According to CNN, Floyd Abrams, a constitutional law expert who has appeared frequently before the Supreme Court, told CNN’s Brian Stelter on “Reliable Sources” Sunday that CNN has a case. 

“I think it’s a really strong lawsuit,” Abrams said. “I can understand CNN being reluctant to sue because the president keeps saying CNN is the enemy of me, and CNN might have reluctance to have a lawsuit titled ‘CNN vs. Donald Trump.’ That said, yes, I think they should sue,” Abrams said.

Acosta was forced to turn in his Secret Service “hard pass” last week. The pass allows press to enter and exit the White House through a quicker process. “This is going to happen again,” he said. “It’s likely to happen again. So whether it’s CNN suing or the next company suing, someone is going to have to bring a lawsuit. And whoever does is going to win unless there’s some sort of reason.”

Former ABC White House reporter Sam Donaldson called the Acosta’s ban “wrong and unfair.” CNN released a statement in the wake of the filing, saying,  “We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process.”

(Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

About RaquelHarris

Check Also

Today In History: Influential Events On December 10

Today is Monday, December 10, 2018. Today marks the 344th day of the year, meaning …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *