Last month, Showtime announced a February premiere date for its first weekly late-night show, starring the dynamic duo from the Boogie Down, Desus and Mero. But, as the debut date approaches, execs from their old network home are not convinced that the Bodega Boys will flourish on a subscription-based network.
In a recent interview with Elle, Vice’s new CEO opened up about Desus & Mero’s move from cable to premium and expressed her concerns about the future of the Bronx-bred hosts.
“They’re going to a platform that their audience doesn’t pay for,” Nancy Dubuc said, as she explained the fact that she’ll be introducing a new two-hour nightly live broadcast in place of the network’s highest-rated program, “Desus & Mero.” “I told them, ‘You can always come back.’”
But, fortunately for fans of the pair, the new show will be accessible to all Bodega Boys fans, with or without Showtime. In fact, in a recent interview with Bossip, the two assured that the fanbase would be taken care of in regards to convenience and accessibility, saying, “You don’t have to have a Showtime login to watch what we’re gonna put out,” Desus said.
“Bodega Hive is something very personal to us…we cannot just shit on this f*cking fanbase,” he added.
In the meantime, “Desus & Mero” is set to debut on February 21 at 11 PM on Showtime. Will you be tuning in?