Balenciaga creative director Demna Gvasalia is apologizing for the campaign ad that depicted children with inappropriate objects. The apology comes after the luxury clothing brand sued company North Six for $25 million for producing the ad. However, in response, sources close to the company said North Six had no creative power over the campaign,
But now, after weeks of backlash and shifting the blame, the controversial designer took to Instagram on Friday morning to break his silence.
“I want to personally apologize for the wrong artistic choice of concept for the gifting campaign with the kids and I take my responsibility,” the personal message read. “It was inappropriate to have kids promote objects that had nothing to do with them.”
Balenciaga had been catching heat since November 16, when the company shared its campaign ad featuring children with teddy bears in bondage gear. The campaign ad also featured Supreme Court legal documents from a child pornography case.
“As much as I would sometimes like to provoke a thought through my work, I would NEVER have an intention to do that with such an awful subject as child abuse that I condemn. Period,” he said. “I need to learn from this, listen and engage with child protection organizations to know how I can contribute and help on this terrible subject.”
Kim Kardashian and many people have since condemned the brand’s actions.
I apologize to anyone offended by the visuals and Balenciaga has guaranteed that adequate measures will be taken not only to avoid similar mistakes in the future but also to take accountability in protecting child welfare in every way we can,” he concluded.
All of his posts have been deleted, and the comments have been disabled on the post.