A 13-year-old boy is fighting for his life after overdosing on fentanyl while at school.
The Hartford, Connecticut seventh-grader ingested the lethal drugs on Thursday at Sports and Medical Sciences Academy. A school nurse administered CPR on him after he collapsed before emergency personnel took over.
Drug-sniffing canines located bags of fentanyl next to the student who passed out, as well as in two classrooms and the gymnasium. The school was closed on Friday following the discovery. Police believe that the drugs were brought into the school by a student, but they have not revealed which student it was nor how they got their hands on the drugs.
Two other students, also in seventh grade, took the drugs and had to be rushed to the hospital as well. One has been released, while the other is still receiving care.
The student who had the most severe reaction remains in Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in “grave” condition.
Narcan, an emergency medicine used to treat opioid overdoses, was not available at the school.