As Tiffany Haddish continues picking up the pieces following damning child abuse accusations, she says she’s still down to do “Girl’s Trip” if her other co-stars will have her.
The actress spoke with TMZ on Tuesday, where she was asked how she felt about people wanting her excluded from the sequel of the 2017 hit comedy. However, Haddish was surprised to know that there was outrage about her possibly coming back for her role as “Dina.” She let it be known that she is down to join her former castmates on the set as long as they are comfortable with her.
Last month, “Girl’s Trip” writer and producer Tracy Oliver confirmed the film is moving forward and will be filmed in Ghana. Queen Latifah, Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Haddish are all set to return for the highly anticipated part two. While Oliver didn’t address the backlash against Haddish, social media sure did soon after her announcement.
People showing up to the studio to force them to recast Tiffany Haddish’s role in Girls Trip 2
— I have so many questions? (@english_shamar) January 23, 2023
I really wish they would’ve just wrote a line in Girls Trip 2 about how Tiffany Haddish couldn’t get time off work and casted Janelle James instead.
— I Fit In There (@UhOhJaye) January 23, 2023
They really trying to continue girls trip 2 with Tiffany Haddish like we didn't see the nasty video she did with Aries Spears? pic.twitter.com/10FmKtposV
— YesHomo (@KennyAlphaOmega) January 23, 2023
Loved Girls Trip. I even watched it twice but I defo don’t want to see Tiffany Haddish in the sequel, especially with the allegations last year. And in my homeland Ghana on top? Please, can they be guided!
— MANNY | #TCMSHOW 🎙️ (@THEECLASSICMAN) January 23, 2023
Last year, the 43-year-old was accused of molesting and grooming two siblings featured in a skit with herself and Aries Spears. In two lawsuits filed separately, one sibling claimed she was 14 during the video and encouraged by both comedians to mimic performing oral sex. Her brother, who was seven at the time of the skit, said he was told to strip down to his underwear. Eventually, the case was dropped, and a settlement was agreed upon privately. Haddish said she “deeply regrets” acting in the skit with Spears but meant no malice to the children.
Shortly after the suit was concluded, she revealed the incident cost her every acting job. If “Girl’s Trip” were to happen, it’d be one of Haddish’s first major roles since the scandal. She did recently make her return in Cory Finley’s sci-fi flick, “Landscape with Invisible Hand,” which debuted at Sundance.
During her run-in with TMZ, Haddish said she’s happy with herself these days and is no longer concerned with the hate she’s received. As of now, none of her fellow co-stars have spoken publicly about the lawsuits and the impacts they may have on the sequel.