Tory Lanez has a new sentencing date as his legal team undergoes changes following his guilty verdict.
The “Say It” crooner appeared in court on Tuesday, where his new attorney David Kenner spoke on his behalf. He told Judge David Herriford that he was waiting to receive copies of the controversial trial transcripts to help prepare the defense’s motion for a new trial.
Kenner’s presence in the case is notable, as he was the attorney who famously represented Suge Knight and helped Snoop Dogg secure an acquittal in his 1993 murder trial. There has been speculation that Lanez replaced his attorney George Mgdesyan because he failed to win in court. However, Mgdesyan stated that since he is not an appeal lawyer, Kenner was brought on board to handle that portion of the case.
Last month, Lanez was convicted of assault with a semiautomatic firearm, having a concealed and loaded firearm in a vehicle, and discharge of a firearm with gross negligence. These charges stem from the July 2020 shooting of Lanez’s former friend Megan Thee Stallion. The “Tina Snow” rapper identified Lanez as the person who shot her in the foot. During the shocking trial, Meg took the stand, doubling down on her claims that Lanez assaulted her. A homeowner who witnessed the events leading to the shooting also testified that he saw Lanez fire the gun, though he also said he saw a muzzle flash by their friend Kelsey Harris as well.
Lanez was initially set to learn his fate on January 27th but will not receive his sentence on February 28th.