First dates may easily be one of the most awkward human encounters there are. There you are, sitting with a a complete stranger, trying to convince them you are the right pick. You ask all the same questions that render useless information about each other, like “what’s your favorite color” and “who was your favorite teacher,” and pretend to care when the other person answers why they love the color blue.
The most awkward part of a date though, is when you all of a sudden run out of questions. If you have nothing to talk about, it’s easy to begin rambling, or even worse, dead silence. So to avoid those awkward moments on your first date, here are 21 useful questions to ask that will be sure to spark conversation and keep it going.
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What’s one thing on your bucket list
- How long have you been single and dating?
- What do you hate the most about dates?
- What’s your dream job?
- Where do you want to spend the rest of your life?
- What’s the best vacation you’ve ever been on?
- What are your biggest pet peeves?
- Do you have any children?
- What’s the last book you read?
- Where do you see yourself living five years from now?
- What is your favorite alcoholic beverage?
- Who are you closest to in your family?
- What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
- What is your favorite reality tv show?
- What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
- If you could have dinner with any celebrity, who would it be?
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
- What’s on your music playlist right now?
- What are you most passionate about?
The goal with these questions, is to avoid close ended questions, and have meaningful conversation. You don’t have to use all 21 on your date, but definitely remember a few the next time you’re on your first date. I guarantee it’ll make the date less awkward, and will eliminate the feeling of two strangers having dinner together. Happy Dating!