UFC star Conor McGregor is under investigation in Ireland for sexual assault.
Just as the two-division champion announced his retirement on Tuesday, reports surfaced that McGregor is under investigation in Ireland for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman back in 2018. According to court documents, the alleged incident happened the morning of December 10, 2018, at the Beacon Hotel, over a month before his Jan 17 arrest. While in custody, McGregor was asked a series of questions by law enforcement before being released without charges. However, further investigation was still pending. Four people are said to be familiar with the investigation.
Irish media reported on the case in late 2018, but could not release McGregor’s name due to the country’s laws -which restricts identifying individuals charged with rape unless they are convicted. So far, the police have recovered footage from the penthouse room McGregor stayed in, as well as security camera footage. McGregor’s last known visit to the hotel was in December, said a report.
“Investigations are ongoing in this case, and at this time a file continues to be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions,” a police statement said. Irish police declined MMA Junkie’s requests for comment on the case in January. However, on Tuesday, his publicist told the media that the sexual assault is not connected to his retirement.
His publicist, Karen J. Kessler, wrote, “This story has been circulating for some time, and it is unclear why it is being reported now,” Kessler said. “The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumor is absolutely false. Should Conor fight in the future, it must be in an environment where fighters are respected for their value, their skill, their hard work, and their dedication to the sport.”