Today is officially the stoner’s holiday. It’s 4/20, the day when the biggest decision you hope to make is how you plan on taking your hits — Blunts, Bongs, Vapes or Paper Planes? Let’s not forget the devil’s dessert, edibles. How do you plan to get high?
No matter how high you plan to be, you’re going to need some entertainment. There’s nothing more depressing than getting high in the dark. So, we’ve taken the time to list off 10 of our favorite stoner movies to not only celebrate the culture, but offer you some gut splitting entertainment.
Here are some of my faves in no particular order.
1. How High (2001) – How High is a 2001 film starring Method Man and Redman. Meth and Red play two underachieving weed heads who, after accidentally smoking their best friend’s ashes, realizes it allows them to see him. They use their new power to pass the SAT’s and subsequently get into college. THAT is when all the fun begins!
2. Half Baked (1998) – You can’t have a list of stoner films without listing Half Baked. The film stars Dave Chappelle, Jim Breuer, Harland Williams and Guillermo Díaz. In an attempt to pay their friend Kenny’s $100,000 bail, Thurgood Jenkins (Chappell) and his friends Brian and Scarface are forced into selling weed they stole from the lab where Thurgood works as a “master of the custodial arts” (janitor). Their weed gets super popular, and takes away from Samson Simpson, the local drug lord’s, business. Thurgood also falls in love with a woman named Mary Jane, who is not here for pot heads. So how do the crew bail out Kenny, while not getting killed by Samson? Mix this with the endless comedy and you’ve got the greatest stoner film of all time.
3. Cheech & Chong: Up In Smoke (1978) – Can’t talk stoners and not bring up Cheech and Chong. This was the comedy duo’s first full length film. It’s about two stoners who unknowingly smuggle a van – made entirely of marijuana – from Mexico to L.A., with incompetent Sgt. Stedenko on their trail.
4. Friday (1995) – Who doesn’t want to get high on the porch with Craig (Ice Cube) and Smokey (Chris Tucker)? Most of the movie is just the two friends smoking in the hood and looking for something to do, while encountering neighbors and other friends through out the day. This film is literally every one’s favorite cult classic. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t know the words.
5. Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (2004) – Harold Lee and Kumar Patel are two stoners who end up getting the munchies. What they crave the most after seeing a TV advertisement, is a trip to White Castle. So from here, follows a journey for the burgers they require. On their way they will encounter many obstacles including a raccoon, a racist officer, and a horny Neil Patrick Harris.
6. Pineapple Express (2008) – Lazy court-process clerk and stoner Dale Denton has only one reason to visit his equally lazy dealer Saul Silver: to purchase weed, specifically, a rare new strain called Pineapple Express. But when Dale becomes the only witness to a murder by a crooked cop and the city’s most dangerous drug lord, he panics and dumps his roach of Pineapple Express at the scene. Dale now has another reason to visit Saul: to find out if the weed is so rare that it can be traced back to him–and it is. As Dale and Saul run for their lives, they quickly discover that they’re not suffering from weed-fueled paranoia: incredibly, the bad guys really are hot on their trail and trying to figure out the fastest way to kill them both. All aboard the Pineapple Express.
7. Dazed And Confused (1993) – It’s the last day of school at a high school in a small town in Texas in 1976. The upperclassmen are hazing the incoming freshmen, and everyone is trying to get stoned, drunk, or laid, even the football players that signed a pledge not to. Fun fact, one of my high school teacher’s was actually in this movie.
8. Dude, Where’s My Car? (2000) – Jesse and Chester, two bumbling stoners, wake up one morning from a night of partying and cannot remember where they parked their car which prompts them on a journey to find it and along the way, they encounter a variety of people who include their angry girlfriends Wilma and Wanda whose house they trashed, an angry street gang, a transexual stripper hounding them for a suitcase full of stolen money, a cult of alien seeking fanatics, and a group of aliens in human form looking for a mystical device that could save or destroy the world.
9. Super Troopers (2001) – Five Vermont state troopers, avid pranksters with a knack for screwing up, try to save their jobs and out-do the local police department by solving a crime.
10. The Big Lebowski (1998) – When “The Dude” Lebowski is mistaken for a millionaire Lebowski, two thugs urinate on his rug to coerce him into paying a debt he knows nothing about. While attempting to gain recompense for the ruined rug from his wealthy counterpart, he accepts a one-time job with high pay-off. He enlists the help of his bowling buddy, Walter, a gun-toting Jewish-convert with anger issues. Deception leads to more trouble, and it soon seems that everyone from porn empire tycoons to nihilists want something from The Dude.
What stoner film will you be watching today?