Boston Red Sox right fielder and Most Valuable Player, Mookie Betts, has decided not to meet with Donald Trump at the White House.
Betts says all bets are off, when it comes to meeting with Trump, as the 26-year-old right fielder has declined the opportunity. Betts made the announcement on Saturday at the awards dinner of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, where he accepted his first MVP honor. “I won’t be going there. I decided not to,” said Betts. Following along with Betts, his third baseman, Rafael Devers, also declined to visit because he “wasn’t compelled to go.”
Trump has been getting dogged out by professional teams since his inauguration. Most recently, the Bay Area’s Golden State Warriors skipped out on the White House, for the second time, for a visit with forever president Barack Obama. Last year, when Trump heard about the Warriors’ reluctance to visit, Trump withdrew his invitation. “Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team,” Trump tweeted. “Stephen Curry is hesitating, therefore invitation is withdrawn!”
Steph Curry said before his invitation was pulled that he and his teammates “don’t stand for. . . the things that he said and the things that he hasn’t said in the right terms.”
In the meantime, the Washington Post also reports that Red Sox manager #AlexCora is “unlikely” to attend the White House meeting. Cora, who is a Puerto Rican native, called out Trump for his negligence towards Hurricane Maria and its death toll. “To be tweeting about 3,000 people and be efficient, it’s actually disrespectful for my country,” Cora said then. “He went down there, he did what he did. I hate talking about politics and all that, but I think this is more than politics.”
Cora added: “I respect him. He’s the president of the United States. But I don’t agree with a lot of stuff that he says about us.”