A Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirmed that claims have been filed; Prince Harry is officially suing the owners of UK tabloid newspapers the Sun and the Daily Mirror for allegedly hacking into his phone.
The spokesperson says the claims are “regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages,” according to CNN.
According to Hacked Off, the campaign group representing the victims of phone hacking said the publishers involved in the scandal could face a total of 1 billion Euros.
The news comes just days after Prince Harry went after the UK tabloid media as his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, sued the UK’s Mail on Sunday. Her suit claims that the paper illegally published a private letter sent to her father.
A spokesperson for the Sun’s parent company, the Rupert Murdoch-owned News Group Newspapers (NGN), stated in responses to comment requests from CNN, “We confirm that a claim has been issued by the Duke of Sussex. We have no further comment to make at the current time.”
A source at Reach plc, the parent company of the Daily Mirror, said that it was aware of the proceedings but had not yet received notification of them, according to reports.
As of yet, It has not been made clear just exactly when the hacking allegations date from, but the new claim means both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are fighting the UK tabloid publishers and industry as a whole.
Early last week, Harry claimed the British tabloids press was conducting a war against Meghan that was reminiscent of the treatment his mother, Princess Diana, faced. Princess Diana died in an unfortunate car crash while being chased by a paparazzo on a motorbike in 1997.
Harry said he felt some reporting about his wife was “bullying” and that he feared “history repeating itself” — a reference to Diana.
“I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person,” he said. “I lost my mother, and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”
He accused the Mail on Sunday of selectively editing the letter to disguise “lies,” the paper had told about the Duchess, which the tabloid specifically has denied.