One of the four women involved in the criminal complaint against R. Kelly, which resulted in a 10 count indictment on charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, has won a default judgment against the singer.
Back in February, after the criminal complaint was filed, the woman, identified as “H.W.,” filed a civil suit against Kelly, claiming the singer sexually abused her as a teen. In the lawsuit, the woman said the incident occurred in May 1998 after the singer approached her, and asked her to be in a video he was creating.
She said the abuse started soon after and went on for about a year.
“Commencing in or about June 1998 and thereafter until she was of the age of majority, defendant, Robert Sylvester Kelly, sexually abused plaintiff,” the suit read. “Specifically, defendant, Robert Sylvester Kelly, had sexual intercourse with the minor plaintiff. The defendant also engaged in oral sex with the minor plaintiff. During these repeated incidents, defendant represented to the minor plaintiff that this behavior was appropriate.”
As a result, the woman demanded $50,000 in damages.
But now, two months later, a judge has ruled in favor of the victim, after Kelly and his team ignored the suit.
“Robert Sylvester Kelly has failed and refused to file an appearance or answer to the Complaint even though [he is] required to do so,” the attorney wrote in a motion earlier this month, which eventually led to Wednesday morning’s default judgment. But, it appears Kelly and his team couldn’t care less about the legal issue, as the singer’s publicist said in a phone call with the Sun-Times, “We don’t care about the lawsuit. The lawsuit means nothing to us.”
In the meantime, H.W. is expected to detail her relationship with Kelly at a May 8 hearing ahead of the judge’s decision on damages.