2019 has definitely been the year of the woman, as women have dominated the charts and created even more lanes for themselves in the rap game. Now more than ever, female rappers are getting the respect they deserve as a new crop of talented ladies are taking over. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This list features some of the new acts taking center stage as well as some of our favorites who simply can’t be stopped.
First up on the list at number 10 is an underrated standout-Tierra Whack. The Philly born rapper, poet, and spoken word performer has brilliantly exhibited creative styles since her debut. Whack started her year with a bang, a Grammy nomination for Best Music Video for the song “Mumbo Jumbo” and releasing a single a week for five straight weeks for the entire month of February as #whackhistorymonth. She was even featured with Queen Bey herself on the track “My Power” from the album “The Lion King: The Gift.” Whack has already established herself as a critical darling and one to watch who has only just begun to take over the rap game.
9. Kash Doll has been on her grind for a minute, and with the release of her latest album “Stacked,” the Detroit born rapper is establishing herself as a force. In 2019 we’ve seen her holding her own and “Mobbin” with some of rap’s most respected male artists as well, including Lil Wayne and Meek Mill.
8. What’s any best rapper list without Nicki Minaj? Even though the Queen from Queens didn’t release a new album this year, she still stayed on the charts with the hit “Megatron” and her feature on Meg Thee Stallion’s “Hot Girl Summer” release. Nicki is a veteran in the rap game, yet she’s still as relevant and controversial as ever with retirement rumors and antics that kept her on the list for 2019.
7. Missy Elliott makes the list by showing us exactly why she’s reached icon status. The Virginia born rapper dropped a new album “Iconology” this year as well as a show-stopping performance at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards, where the Songwriters Hall of Famer took home the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award for her amazingly creative catalog of visuals. Missy is and will always be an innovator in this rap game and came back strong with her single and video “Throw it Back” earlier this year.
6. Saweetie is a newbie who comes in at number 6 after dropping one of the hottest anthems of the summer with her Gold hit “My Type” from her second major-label EP, “Icy.” The Bay Area rapper brings an infectious energy to the game.
5. Cardi B definitely doesn’t need more press, but she’s still a dominant force in the rap game in 2019. After starting her year as the first female rapper to take home a Grammy award for “Best Rap Album,” she’s stayed busy with hot guest appearances on Bruno Mars’ “Please Me,” City Girls’ “Twerk” and hubby Offset’s single “Clout.” If that wasn’t enough- Cardi can add Hollywood star to her resume with a starring role in this year’s “Hustlers” alongside fellow Bronx native Jennifer Lopez.
4. Rapsody makes the list as easily the most critically acclaimed female rap artist of the year. Her new album “Eve,” released this summer, continues her winning streak of dropping conscious, lyrically impressive rap music that pays respect to the culture of hip hop first and foremost. The North Carolina native is already considered a lyrical heavyweight, and songs like “Afeni,” “Nina,” and “Oprah” show her depth and substance as both an artist and as a black woman.
3. City Girls make the list at number 3. Yung Miami and JT will no doubt be blazing trails way into 2020 now that JT is home. The duo hit us with two platinum-selling hits this year with “Twerk” and “Act Up,” and now that both ladies have finished their “bids,” we can expect to see big things from them as a unit, as we move into the end of the year.
2. Meg Thee Stallion has had the second most phenomenal year of all the females on this list. The Houston, Texas native dropped one of the hottest rap albums of the year with “Fever” and is single-handedly responsible for 2019’s “Hot Girl Summer” movement. Meg is also proving that Hot Girls have brains too by continuing her education, all while tearing up the charts and festival dates. Meg has already taken home awards for “Best Female Hip Hop Artist” at the BET Awards and “Best Power Anthem” at the MTV Video Music Awards for 2019.
1. Coming in at number 1 is this year’s biggest breakout star –Lizzo. The Houston native has been grinding her way to the top spot since we first took notice of her hit single “Truth Hurts” in 2017. Lizzo’s success has been a while in the making, the rapper, singer, songwriter made history when the song finally reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, becoming her first number-one single- two years after its original release. Lizzo has also established herself as a classically trained flutist and actress, she also appeared along with Cardi B and J.Lo in “Hustlers.”