A video shows a man dumping his six-month-old pregnant girlfriend’s lifeless body off the side of a Queens expressway after strangling her to death.
On Monday, police arrested 29-year-old Goey “Joey” Charles for allegedly killing Vanessa Pierre. On Tuesday, police released footage of Charles dumping the woman; he was later charged with murder. Police found Pierre, a nurse practitioner, on the side of the Horace Harding Expressway near Bell Boulevard in Bayside around 6 a.m. on Friday.
The footage shows Charles pulling Pierre’s lifeless body out of his vehicle and then running off to get back into his car, the Daily Mail reports. Before that, Daily News reports that Charles stopped the vehicle on the parkway at about 2:50 a.m. Initially, he was in the front driver’s seat but then moved to the backseat with Pierre, who was alive at the time. Moments later, Pierre was motionless, the outlet reports. Charles left Pierre’s body and the scene at around 4:40 a.m. Investigators believed the man had strangled the victim after they found bruising around the woman’s neck.
A passerby found the victim with a pair of grey sweatpants wrapped around her about 90 minutes after Charles took off in Pierre’s 2019 Dodge Challenger.
According to neighbors, police had been watching the home Charles lived in all weekend. Charles and Pierre were together for a year, but there are details on whether the unborn baby is Charles’ or not. The suspect’s aunt claimed there were no signs of an issue between the couple. On Monday, the suspect’s mother said the victim stayed overnight the night before her body was found. After the murder, Charles claimed that he dropped Pierre off at her mother’s house, although Pierre’s white Dodger was still parked Monday in the family driveway when police took Charles in for questioning.
“It’s horrible what happened,” Herlin Pierre, the woman’s father, said. “She was pregnant too. She was six months — that’s what she told me. It looks like I lost two people. I was prepared to have a baby shower for her, and that’s the bad news I heard.” Charles’ arraignment is scheduled for the Queens Criminal Court on Tuesday. He faces 25 years in prison if convicted of second-degree murder. Daily News reports that the Medical Examiner ruled the case a homicide, with the cause of death cited as asphyxia due to compression of the neck.