Two brothers of Cummings, Georgia, were found dead early Saturday morning on a boat at Lake Lanier.
Scott Landeck, 22, and Brian Landeck, 31, were found by family and friends around 11 a.m. in Bald Ridge Creek near Mary Alice Park, Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Stacie Miller said.
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the men spent the night aboard a cabin cruiser that was anchored in the lake.
Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman says, “It is believed that they were running a generator all night with the canopy of the boat closed,” adding that carbon monoxide poisoning is the suspected cause of death.
Authorities say that the boat’s generator was located in an area of the boat that was not enclosed. The way that it was positioned didn’t allow the exhaust to exit the boat. The fumes filled the cabin as the men slept through the night.
A third man was present on the boat, and family members were able to wake to him, but he was disoriented.
The death of the brothers was called a “tragic accident,” and officials encouraged boaters to be careful when using generators. Authorities want boaters to ensure that they are positioned that allows for adequate ventilation.