Monday, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx said her office would be dropping ten sex-abuse charges against disgraced singer R. Kelly following his two federal court convictions and multi-decade prison sentence that should guarantee he won’t see the light of day.
Kelly, born Robert Sylvester Kelly, is already serving a 30-year prison sentence on charges of federal racketeering and sex- trafficking after being convicted in Brooklyn last year. The 56-year-old is currently awaiting sentencing in a second federal case in Chicago.
“Mr. Kelly is potentially looking at a possibility of never walking out of prison again for the crimes that he’s committed,” Foxx said. “This office, in the pursuit of justice for the victims in our indictment as well as those across the country, worked tirelessly to get us to this point. While today’s cases are no longer being pursued, we believe that justice has been served and the sentences that have already been handed down to Mr. Kelly, as well as the sentence that will come down next month.”
Foxx also noted that she spoke with each of the four alleged victims before making the final determination to drop the charges, which are said to be formally dropped Tuesday.
In the case, which was brought on in 2019, Kelly was accused of sexually abusing four people (three of whom were minors) between May 1998 and January 2010. He was facing three to seven years in prison for each charge if convicted.
Kelly still faces charges in Minnesota for allegedly engaging in prostitution with a minor and soliciting a minor for sexual purposes.