Donald Trump claims he only went into the bunker of the White House last week to inspect it despite rumors about security concerns regarding protests, USA Today reports.
Rumors started to circulate last week that Trump had to be taken to the underground bunker of the White House when protests started to escalate in Washington D.C. on Friday. On Wednesday, Agent Orange dismissed the alleged “false” reports that the Secret Service had to protect him because he was allegedly afraid of the protests.
“I went down during the day, and I was there for a tiny little short period of time,” Trump said during an interview with Brian Kilmeade. “It was much more for an inspection. There was no problem during the day.” The rumors came after several outlets, including CNN and the New York Times reported that Trump had to move to the bunker as a precaution until tensions died down in Lafayette Park, the outlet reports. One official said Trump did, in fact, go down to the bunker for protection to discuss internal matters. But that same official said he was only in the bunker briefly.
Meanwhile, Trump says the Secret Service never told him that he needed to go down to the bunker. “No, they didn’t tell me that at all. They said it would be a good time to go down, take a look because maybe some time you’re going to need it,” said Trump. He says he also went to the bunker the day before the protests escalated. “There was never a problem,” he said. “We never had a problem. Nobody ever came close to giving us a problem. The Secret Service it does an unbelievable job of maintaining control in the White House.”