More than a dozen elementary school students were medically evaluated after mistakenly consuming THC-infused edibles earlier this week.
The incident occurred at Algodones Elementary School in New Mexico, a few days after the state began legal sales of recreational marijuana.
School officials said a student brought the gummy candies to school on Monday and shared them with 14 other classmates, all under age 10. The child who passed out the edibles mistakenly thought the treat was candy and was unaware that the items contained marijuana.
“I’m not surprised by a lot of things anymore because there’s so much accessibility to so much, but in this case, I’m a little bit dumbfounded by how quickly it came about,” Bernalillo Public School Superintendent Matt Montaño said. “Not to be unexpected that this could happen but to happen so quickly after the law went into effect on Friday was a bit surprising for me. I feel like I’m a little on my heels on it, and I’m disappointed not to be able to be a little more proactive about this,” he continued.
School staff reportedly became aware of the situation after several students complained about feeling sick after eating the edibles that resembled gummy candy.
Montaño said the children were then evaluated by medical personnel and are all reportedly safe and healthy.