$tag) { $tagsList[] = $tag->name; } foreach($categories as $key => $cat) { $catList[] = $cat->name; } ?>
Rare Flesh-Eating Bacteria Claims 3 Lives in New York and Connecticut

Florida Man Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Virus After Using Tap Water for a Sinus Rinse

Fox 4 reported that a south Florida man has died from a brain-eating virus after using tap water for a sinus rinse.

Three days before the county health department issued a public alert about the virus, the individual, who was not named but was identified as a citizen of Charlotte County, passed away on February 20.

Naegleria fowleri, a tiny single-celled live amoeba, was the focus of one incident that DOH-Charlotte reported on February 23.  According to the agency, illness is uncommon and may only occur when water infected with the amoeba enters the nose.

It was emphasized that drinking tap water could not cause infection.

Primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), an infection of the brain caused by the amoeba, is a condition for which no known effective treatments exist.

The CDC told Fox 4 that this is the first instance of a tap water infection in Florida and the first instance of a case being recorded during the winter in the United States.  It’s also the first Naegleria fowleri infection case to be reported this year.

Almost 97% of those who contract the infection die.  There have only been four confirmed cases where individuals survived the virus in the United States out of 154 known affected people between 1962 and 2021.

Typically, amoebas live in shallow, warm freshwater bodies, such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs.  They may also reside in sediment under lakes, ponds, and rivers, so the agency advises against digging in shallow, warm water.
Naegleria fowleri can be found in swimming pools, splash pads, surf parks, or other recreational areas if improperly cleaned or lacking sufficient chlorine.
Most infections in the United States are associated with swimming in southern states, with Texas and Florida reporting the highest numbers of cases at 39 and 37.

DOH-Charlotte said it is “continuing to investigate how this infection occurred and is working with the local public utilities to identify any potential links and make any necessary corrective actions.”

The county has alerted its residents, urging them to exercise caution when bathing, showering, washing their faces, swimming, diving into the water, and playing with hoses or sprinklers.  In addition, it’s suggested that residents keep inflatable and plastic pools clean and avoid slip-and-slides.
It also stated that distilled or sterile water should always be used to make sinus rinse solutions.  Tap water can be boiled for at least a minute before cooling.
The department urged residents to seek medical assistance immediately if they experience; headaches, fever, nausea, disorientation, vomiting, stiff neck, seizures, loss of balance, and hallucinations after swimming in warm lakes or rivers and getting water in their noses.
author avatar
Hi All, my name is I’esha and I’ve been a writer for baller alert for 1 year and 2 months. I’m also a student and entrepreneur .

About Iesha

Hi All, my name is I’esha and I’ve been a writer for baller alert for 1 year and 2 months. I’m also a student and entrepreneur .

Check Also

Young Thug Shuts Down The Jail Cell Photo Drama By Posting Picture Of Mariah The Scientist

The Young Thug YSL Trial: Continued Chaos and No End in Sight

The Young Thug YSL trial has now stretched into its 64th day, and it seems …

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Baller Alert

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading