Nearly a year ago, former Cleveland Browns baller Johnny Manziel was accused of attacking and threatening his girlfriend, Colleen Crowley. Since then, prosecutors have come to an agreement with the former quarterback to dismiss the charge against him.
According to USA Today, the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office said that the misdemeanor domestic violence charge will be dismissed under a few conditions. Manziel will reportedly have to meet the requirements for a year, and only then will the charge be dismissed. Under the terms of the agreement, Manziel will be required to undergo counseling. In addition, his conduct will be monitored by the prosecutors office, reports state.
However, if Manziel breaks the agreement, he could face up to a year in jail.
A spokesperson for the prosecutors office released a statement on Friday, regarding Manziel’s deal. She said the agreement was filed Friday without the former quarterback present, reports state.
“A conditional dismissal agreement is only the beginning of the process of educating an individual on how to make better choices when facing conflict. It is an important first step for a defendant. Success or failure will depend on one’s commitment to the [treatment] programs included,” the spokesperson said.