An Arizona man who believed taking chloroquine phosphate would protect him from the coronavirus has died. His wife, who also took the drug, remains in critical condition.
The man’s wife told NBC News she’d heard Donald Trump discuss the potential benefits of taking chloroquine, and they” were afraid of getting sick.”
However, the toxic ingredient was not the medical form of chloroquine, which is used to treat malaria; it was instead an ingredient used to treat parasite in fishes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
” I had (the substance) in the house because I used to have Koi fish,” she said.” saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re is talking about on TV?'”
The couple, who are in their 60s, decided to mix a small amount of the substance with water to drink as a way to prevent the coronavirus.
” Within minutes, I started vomiting,” the woman told NBC News. “My husband started developing respiratory problems and wanted to hold my hand.”
The Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the couple took the additive called chloroquine phosphate.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Unfortunately, the couple confused the chloroquine phosphate in their fish treatment with the medication known as hydroxychloroquine that Trump had recently called a possible treatment for COVID-19. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Dr. Daniel Brooks, Medical Director of Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, released a statement saying, “Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so.”
The FDA has not approved hydroxychloroquine to treat the coronavirus. The studies of its safety and effectiveness against the virus are just beginning.
Even though no drugs have been approved to treat COVID-19, early research believes it may be useful as a therapeutic remedy.
The Arizona woman now warns other people to pay attention to medical professionals for the best coronavirus advice.