A year after the police killed George Floyd, the city of Minneapolis has removed barricades from around the square. Early Thursday morning, city crews were seen dismantling barriers, artwork, flowers and other items from the intersection which became a sprawling memorial to George Floyd.
“We are collectively committed to establishing a permanent memorial at the intersection, preserving the artwork, and making the area an enduring space for racial healing,” the City said in a statement. However, the removal of the memorial did not sit well with some. A group of protesters gathered at the intersection placing up makeshift barriers after crews cleared the concrete blockades.
Sarah McKenzie, a spokeswoman for the city, said that Minneapolis has been working with community organization, Agape Movement, which coordinated the clearing of the intersection. The large, raised, fist sculpture remains.
Around 4:30 this morning nearly a hundred city workers showed up to open the square to vehicles clearing barricades and adding new barricades to the memorial. Mayor Frey had previously said the place where the city murdered George Floyd would “never be driven on again”. pic.twitter.com/S7NbefMctn
— daviss (@daviss) June 3, 2021