In Williston, Florida, parents of students attending Williston Middle-High are outraged after two eighth-grade boys were allowed back on campus despite allegations of sexual abuse.
Earlier this month, WCJB 20 reported that two teenage boys had been accused of sodomizing a sixth-grade student with a pipe, recording the act, and then posting the video online.
The incident did not take place on school grounds but in Marion county.
The school posted a statement on its Facebook page on Nov 9, stating, “The School Board of Levy County has been in communication with local law enforcement officials since the initial report of an ongoing law enforcement investigation relating to SBLC students in another county. The SBLC has taken steps to mitigate any interaction between all involved parties to ensure the safety of all students.”
WCJB 20 spoke to residents about the school’s handling of the situation. “It’s kind of sickening to me that we gotta hear about this through a Facebook post,” Paul Frere told WCJB. “I think Marion County should’ve reached out to our schools, and our school board should’ve been reaching out to us, and we should have been notified,” Meanwhile, Miranda Stewart, whose children attend the same school as the accused, said she was unsatisfied with the decision to allow the students to return to class. However, according to the publication, the superintendent released a statement claiming the teens would be kept away from other students.
“It’s going to affect the way people view you as a school board to say this didn’t happen here, and I understand innocent until proven guilty and all of that, but if there’s an investigation, they don’t need to be going to school,” Stewart shared.
“They didn’t want it to go out; they wanted people to delete the social media, they wanted people to delete the Reddit and things like that. It shouldn’t be something that’s quiet, this is something that affects everybody who has a child that attends Levy County — obviously not every school, but the middle-high school clearly,” said Stewart. “I had questions about it, and my children expressed to me that they did not want those children to come back to school and that they felt it was wrong, and that those boys should be held accountable. So, I was like, somebody obviously needs to say something or do something to make this known because they were sweeping it under the rug.”
According to Stewart, she believes the two boys’ families are trying to keep the issue under wraps. However, the incident, listed as a battery case, is under investigation by Marion County sheriff’s deputies.