The Food and Drug Administration announced a recall of a series of pet food products due to “potentially fatal” toxin levels called aflatoxin.
According to the NY Daily News, products from Midwestern Pet Foods have been linked to deadly levels of aflatoxin, which is a toxin that grows on mold that can be found on corn and other grains that are commonly used as ingredients in pet food.
The recall comes after at least 28 dogs have died and eight others have gotten sick.
The FDA is warning pet owners to be on the look for symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning in their pets. The symptoms can include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice (yellowish tint to the eyes, gums, or skin due to liver damage), and diarrhea.
“Although this pet food recall is still unfolding, we are sharing the facts we have so far because the levels of aflatoxin found in the recalled pet food are potentially fatal,” the deputy director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) Division of Compliance, Amber McCoig, said through a statement.
The name of the dog food that is being recalled is the “Sportmix” food brand.
The FDA encourages any pet owners with this brand of food in their home to destroy it and to call their vet immediately if your pet is showing any of the previously listed symptoms.