Prince Harry and Meghan Markle continue their fight with British tabloids by telling multiple publications that they will never work with them again.
Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a letter sent to several publications on Sunday evening that the couple would not respond to any more inquiries from their journalists under the new policy of “zero engagement,” unless the couple’s legal team contacts the publications.
The couple said the British tabloids, which includes The Sun, Mail, Mirror, and Express, published stories about them that were “distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason,” according to the Hollywood Reporter.
“It is gravely concerning that an influential slice of the media, over many years, has sought to insulate themselves from taking accountability for what they say or print — even when they know it to be distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason,” the letter said. “When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded.”
Last year, Markle announced she was suing the Mail publication for unlawfully publishing a private letter she sent to her estranged father. At the same time, Prince Harry also accused British tabloids of launching a “ruthless” campaign against his wife.
“There is a real human cost to this way of doing business, and it affects every corner of society,” the letter continued. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know — as well as strangers — have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue.”
Prince Harry and Markle left the royal palace and relocated to California after having announced their split from the royal family in January.