Prince William Issues Rare Statement Addressing BBC’s Investigation of Princess Diana Interview
Prince William is openly supporting the BBC’S new investigation. Apparently, he was in “The Horror” after an allegation surfaced that the interview with his mother had been manipulated. The company will be looking into the infamous 1995 interview with Princess Diana. In the “Panorama” interview, Diana spoke about her marriage to Prince Charles, depression, and bulimia. She also expressed disappointment with the palace and the media.
Last week, the BBC announced they would be investigating their reporter Martin Bashir. The journalist is being accused of doctoring fake bank statements to secure Princess Diana’s 1995 interview.
“The independent investigation is a step in the right direction. It should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time.” said the Duke of Cambridge
According to The BBC, their board of directors appointed John Dyson, a retired Supreme Court judge, on Wednesday. He will lead the investigation into the circumstances leading to the controversial interview. “Dyson is “an eminent and highly respected figure who will lead a thorough process,” the broadcaster said.
Controversy has surrounded the interview for years. However, this month Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, made the claims relevant. According to Spencer, Bashir used false information to convince the late royal to participate in the interview.
“The Diana Interview: Revenge of a Princess,” documentary, was aired this month by British station ITV. Multiple interviews were featured that all seemed to say the same thing. Allegedly, Bashir and graphic designer Matt Wiessler falsified bank statements. The statements were made to create a narrative that royal employees were being paid to spy on Diana.
“The BBC is taking this seriously, and we want to get to the truth,” BBC Director-General Tim Davie said. According to BBC documents, the 1996 investigation concluded Bashir was “an honest man” and blamed Weissler for everything.
“It’s a bit like blaming the pen for writing a nasty letter. I couldn’t believe it when I saw that FOI release. The board of governor meetings that was there to look into what Martin made me the scapegoat. I don’t know how you can plausibly tell a story that a graphic designer is to blame for using copied documents as a forgery. I’ve been living with this for 25 years. When I saw this decree that went out… I was pretty angry a couple of weeks ago when I saw that because I thought it was utterly unfair,” Weissler said.
The company’s religion director Martin Bashir was unable for a statement. He is currently recovering from quadruple heart bypass surgery after contracting COVID-19 earlier in the year.