Just days after Suge Knight’s namesake son made headlines over reignited conspiracy theories concerning Tupac’s untimely death, the music exec is back in the news over his 2015 manslaughter case.
Last month, Knight pleaded no contest voluntary manslaughter in the 2015 fatal hit-and-run on the set of “Straight Outta Compton,” in exchange for more than 20 years behind bars.
Now, on Thursday, the music is expected to be sentenced to begin his 28-year stint. But, not before he speaks his peace on the incident.
In his first interview since the plea deal, Knight opened up to The Blast about his time behind bars, his health, why he took the deal and Dr. Dre, who he believes put a hit out on him.
According to Knight, his health has been failing, but he hasn’t received adequate medical attention in the Los Angeles County Jail. But, outside of that, he says he’s been dealing with the drama of Dre’s alleged hit.
In the interview, Knight says he struck a lifetime deal with Dre for 30% of all the producer’s earnings, including Dre’s $3 billion deal with Apple and Beats. But, when Knight tried to get his money, he says Dre retaliated by sending two men to kill him at Tam’s Burgers.
He also believes Dre was responsible for the 2014 shooting that left him injured, but since he survived the shooting, he says Dre organized the Tam’s Burgers hit.
“They also got the paper trail with all the checks and proof of when they talked to the witnesses saying that Dre came to them first and asked the two guys how much it cost to get rid of me,” Knight says. “And they said, ‘What you mean by get rid of?’ And they said, ‘Kill him.’”
Knight sued Dre over his claims in 2016, but the suit has remained stagnant amid Knight’s own legal issues. In the meantime, the music exec also opened up about his plea deal.
“So when they gave me an attorney,” Knight says, “he seen me two times in eight months and told me he went to the court and said he needed help and other attorneys. And they told him no. He said no way he can do my trial because he really don’t know the case and he won’t win.”
“So if somebody stacks the deck against you, to the point where they’re not trying to fight for you, and let you get the attorneys you wish to have, what can you do?” He says.
But, when it’s all said and done, the 53-year-old is still hopeful for the future. When asked if he would see the light of day again, he said, “Absolutely. Of course.”