Three People Died From Drinking Hand Sanitizer In New Mexico

Three people in New Mexico have died from methanol poisoning, and one left permanently blind after drinking hand sanitizer.

According to New Mexico Poison Control, the recent cases of people drinking hand sanitizer was due to alcoholism.

State Health Secretary Kathy Kunkel released a statement saying that anyone that has consumed the product to seek medical care.

“If you think you may have used or consumed hand sanitizer containing methanol, please seek medical care. An antidote to methanol poisoning is available, but the earlier someone gets treated for methanol poisoning the better the chance of recovery.”

Earlier this week, the Food and Drug Administration suggested that people should not use hand sanitizer products made by Eskbiochem SA due to toxic chemicals.

CNN reports that federal officials have found samples of methanol in the hand sanitizer by the Mexican company. Officials are unsure if those that have been affected used the exact type of hand sanitizer.

Exposure to a significant amount of methanol can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.

No further details on the victims have been released.


About Peachkyss

Peachkyss is the Fashion Writer and Content Curator for Baller Alert, who keeps the reader up-to-date on the latest trends, the latest luxury brand collections, and how to "ball" on a budget.  Peachkyss has her Bachelors in Elementary Education with a concentration in Mathematics from Norfolk State University and Masters in Middle Grades Mathematics from Walden University.  Have a question about what your favorite celeb is wearing or fashion advice, email me at [email protected] "Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak."

Check Also

Texas Man Seen Drinking And Driving On Facebook Live Moments Before Fatal Crash

A Texas man who posted a Facebook Live video of himself drinking while behind the …

Leave a Reply