Everyone loves a good show. Matter of fact, everyone loves a great show! Some of our favorite artists know the importance of planning out every single concert detail in order to make sure their fans go home satisfied. But what makes a night more memorable than a few unexpected hiccups or surprises?
This year has been a great year for hip-hop. Music influencers made their marks with surprise mixtapes and album drops, gratifying collaborations, and even ventures into TV. All that is definitely appreciated, but some of the most standout moments have been on stage. Some may make you smile, while others might make you cringe. But that’s what makes them great! Here are the top outrageous concert moments we can’t forget from 2018.
1. Offset Apologizes to Cardi B- Everything Offset and Cardi B seems to be public whether it was intentional or not. After Cardi carried out a very public break up message about her husband via social media, the Migos member had to match that same energy with an even more public apology. Offset took over the “Money” star’s stage at Rolling Loud with a “Take Me Back” plea followed by calling her an endearing, “bruh.”
2. Fan Rushes “On the Run II” Stage- It’s no surprise that someone can get a little too excited when at a Jay-Z and Beyonce concert, but it’s Jay-Z and Beyonce! However, Atlanta’s Anthony Charles Thomas Maxwell got way too rambunctious when he grabbed his opportunity to run up on stage. Not only did he maneuver passed security and the dancers, but police also stated he got as far as being able to push HOV.
3. Drake Brings Chris Brown & Meek Mill On Tour Stage- If you’re one of those sad trolls who are still looking for a brewing continuation of a Chris Brown and Drake beef, all hopes were shut down at the “Aubrey and The Three Amigos Tour.” The pair went from throwing bottles at each other in the club to celebrating each other’s successes on stage together. Breezy performed some of his top hits after being introduced by Drake as “one of the most talented human beings on the planet.”
While we’re on the topic of no more beef, how can we not acknowledge the official end of his with Meek Mill? In 2017, Champagne Papi wore a “Free Meek” t-shirt during an Australian concert in support of the then-incarcerated rapper. But it was still a beautiful surprise when Drake welcomed the Dream Chaser to a Boston stage at another “Aubrey and The Three Amigos” show. *sheds tear*⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. Meek Mill XXXtentacion Tribute- The 2018 BET Awards was a time to recognize black excellence in the entertainment industry. It was also the perfect opportunity to recognize XXXtentacion after he was gunned down and killed. The 20-year-old rapper left behind devasted fans and family who knew the artist purposefully changed his life around to avoid that exact type of lifestyle. Though there’s no undoing his senseless passing, Meek Mill took the BET stage making his first appearance since being released from prison. Mill sported a sweatshirt with XXX’s face putting the focus on the fallen soldier as he rhymed about the incarceration of black people in America.
5. Iggy Azalea Dancer Has Seizure On Stage- Iggy Azalea had a pretty slow couple of years to music standards, but she made 2018 a time of progression. Brazil welcomed the Aussie rapper to perform a couple throwbacks. While performing “Black Widow,” confusion ensued when one of her dancers fell to the ground. Other background dancers tried to tend to her, but Azalea kept performing as the music also continued. It turned out that the young lady had a seizure! It wasn’t until the music stopped when Iggy realized the seriousness of the situation.
6. Mac Miller Tribute Concert- Mac Miller’s passing was nothing short of unexpected. Friends and fans from all walks of life of the late rapper were stunned by his death. Though his life was cut short, the legacy his music left behind will live on forever. That’s why it was not surprising to see the massive support for his tribute concert. L.A.’s The Greek hosted the celebration of life with performances from Chance the Rapper, John Mayer, and Ty Dolla $ign. Messages of love also showered the event from celebrities varying from Lil Wayne to SZA to Jason Sudeikis.
7. Destiny’s Child Reunion at Coachella- Queen Bey’s effortless influence was clear at Coachella, which Beyhive members dubbed “Beychella.” So many moments can be talked about, but an amazing one was the unexpected reunion of Destiny’s Child. The trio strutted the stage bringing back the feels with “Soldier,” “Say My Name,” and “Lose My Breath.”
8. Men Rush Pusha T’s Toronto Stage- A concert in Toronto turned unexpectedly sour after men tried to rush Pusha T’s stage. Danforth Music Hall was one of the homes to the G.O.O.D Music artist’s tour. That night, a series of bottles and paint was thrown on the stage before a group of men jumped on ready to attack. T’s ready team stepped in taking out the three goons while the “Daytona” rapper looked on from the sides.
9. Ariana Grande Shades Travis Scott Album Sales Strategy- Nicki Minaj’s frustration towards Travis Scott grabbing the number one ranked album (Astroworld) in the country was extremely apparent. She made her disdain very public on social media and Queen Radio claiming he only reached such high earnings with the help of merch sales and promotion from girlfriend, Kylie Jenner. However, friend and previous collaborator, Ariana Grande, joined in making a shady comment about La Flame’s album sales at a “Sweetener Sessions” show in Chicago. The singer’s manager made the announcement of Grande snatching the number one spot from Scott, to which she replied, “We got three days left. You don’t know what Travis could pull!”
10. Lil Wayne calls Jay-Z a “Real Friend” & Praises Swizz Beatz- Lil Wayne has never been the type to open up about his personal relationships. One big example is the bond he shares with Jay-Z. Carter has admitted in the past to admiring HOV as an artist, but feeling eventually went left when diss records were aimed at each other between 2011 and 2013. Fast forward to today, and the Young Money honcho couldn’t contain himself from recognizing Jay as a “real friend” at his Chicago show. He admitted the Forbes-named Richest Musician in America helped him pay off a massive owed tax. Wayne also gloated, “There’s people like JAY-Z. He helped me when I was really, really, really down.” He went to explain the continuous support he gets from producer, Swizz Beatz. “There’s people like Swizz Beatz who’s gonna send me every single beat he make and wants me to rap on every single one until I got my situation straight.”
Welp, that’s our wrap up! Name a couple more iconic moments you remember from 2018. In the meantime, let’s look forward to the new year bringing more excitement.
Blogged By: @iamb_chianne