Donald Trump is threatening to pull the 2020 Republican National Convention from being held in Charlotte, North Carolina because he’s at odds with the state’s governor.
In a series of tweets on Monday, Memorial Day, Trump made the threat to pull the convention out of Charlotte because Governor Roy Cooper is “unable to guarantee” the arena can be filled to capacity due to shutdown orders still in place.
The convention is expected to be August 24-27, where Trump will formally accept his party’s nomination to be the Republican Presidential candidate.
“I love the Great State of North Carolina, so much so that I insisted on having the Republican National Convention in Charlotte at the end of August,” Trump tweeted. “Unfortunately, Democrat Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in Shutdown mood & unable to guarantee that by August we will be allowed full attendance in the Arena. In other words, we would be spending millions of dollars building the Arena to a very high standard without even knowing if the Democrat Governor would allow the Republican Party to fully occupy the space.”
Trump continued, “Plans are being made by many thousands of enthusiastic Republicans, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August. They must be immediately given an answer by the Governor as to whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied. If not, we will be reluctantly forced to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site. This is not something I want to do.”
Gov. Cooper said last week that he and experts will gather data to make sure that holding the RNC would be safe for all attendees.
“This is not political. This is not emotional. This is based on health experts, data, and science, and that’s it for everybody to see,” Cooper told CNN. “No one is being favored or disfavored over the other.”