Trump has threatened legal action against Twitter after his campaign account was temporarily suspended.
According to Politico, Trump’s reelection campaign complained after its account was locked for tweeting about unproven allegations against Joe Biden and his son Hunter.
The fallout started after Mike Hahn, a social media staffer on the Trump campaign, tweeted a screenshot of an official notice informing the campaign that its Twitter “account has been locked.”
The notice claimed the campaign account violated Twitter’s “rules against posting private information,” citing a tweet that accused the Democratic presidential nominee of being a “liar” and “ripping off our country for years.”
The campaign account’s tweet included a link to what Hahn said was a video related to a damning New York Post report that accused the Bidens of shady business dealings with Russia.
We are back and we are re-posting the video Twitter doesn’t want you to watch.— Team Trump (Text VOTE to 88022) (@TeamTrump) October 15, 2020
JOE BIDEN IS A LIAR WHO HAS BEEN RIPPING OFF OUR COUNTRY FOR YEARS!
PASS IT ON. pic.twitter.com/pSWyycFrEF
Twitter and Facebook have received backlash from the GOP for taking active steps to shut down the New York Post story, which most believe is only intended to damage Biden’s creditability so close to the upcoming election.
Nearly three hours after Hahn’s initial tweet, the Trump campaign posted a note saying that access to its account had been restored and tweeted, “We are back, and we are re-posting the video Twitter doesn’t want you to watch.”
Twitter explained their position in a statement, saying, “Accounts that Tweet the materials or links to the materials referenced here may be required to delete those Tweets based on our policies on hacked materials and private and personal information.”
When asked about the account suspension, Trump told Fox Business during an interview that “it’s going to all end up in a big lawsuit.”