Tucker Carlson is speaking out for the first time since being fired from Fox News earlier this week.
On Monday, the political pundit was fired just days after the channel reached a $787 million settlement with Dominion Voting Systems for publicizing erroneous reports of voter fraud in the 2020 election.
According to reports, Carlson held his position for more than 14 years, but it’s unclear why he was let go.
“Tucker still hasn’t been given any indication of why he was taken off the air,” a Fox News source told Daily Mail. “We believe Rupert [Murdoch] wants to sell the company, and it’s harder to find an institutional buyer with Tucker as the main star.”
One senior Department of Defense official also spoke out about Carlson’s departure, saying, “We’re a better country without him bagging on our military every night in front of hundreds of thousands of people.” Another military official said, “Good riddance!”
However, when asked about reports that suggested he wouldn’t be missed, Carlson said to Politico, “Ha! I’m sure.”
While on air, Carlson, 53, spewed conspiracy theories and false narratives under the guise of right-wing politics.
“Tucker took something that really was relegated to the fringes — it’s a white nationalist conspiracy theory — and he made it not just a part of his show, but then a broader part of Fox News’s culture, and then, by extension, Republican politics,” Angelo Carusone, president of liberal watchdog Media Matters for America, said of Carlson’s tenure at the network. “It really became acceptable to embrace that idea.”
While Tucker Carlson’s future remains unclear, Fox News plans to replace the show with a new segment featuring a carousel of guest hosts.