The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show has been called off this year.
L Brands, which owns the legendary lingerie company, announced the decision Thursday, saying it’ll be moving on in order to “evolve the messaging of [the company],” according to Fortune.
The company’s CFO Stuart Burgdoerfer told analysts during an earnings call that “We will be communicating to customers, but nothing similar in magnitude to the fashion show.”
According to the NY Post, model Shanina Shaik leaked the news to the Daily Telegraph back in July, telling them: “Unfortunately the Victoria’s Secret show won’t be happening this year,” she said. “It’s something I’m not used to because every year around this time, I’m training like an Angel.”
The company itself had been tight-lipped as to whether or not they planned on putting on the annual production.
The show, which has taken place around this time of year since 1995, used to be widely regarded for its cast of slender supermodels and was once considered a pinnacle moment in a models career.
In recent years, the show saw a decline in its popularity and increasing amounts of backlash over the frustrations of some viewers for what they called “outdated beauty standards.”