Karmelo Anthony’s effort to overturn his murder conviction took a major turn Wednesday when the judge who oversaw his trial was removed from the case. According to The Associated Press, state District Judge John Roach will no longer preside over the post-trial proceedings involving Anthony, who is seeking a new trial while also appealing his conviction. The 19-year-old was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison for fatally stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a high school track meet in Frisco, Texas, in April 2025.
Anthony’s attorneys argued during Wednesday’s Collin County hearing that Roach should not be the judge deciding whether the teenager receives another trial. Per the AP, the defense raised concerns about strict courtroom restrictions Roach imposed during the trial as well as an interview he gave after the verdict. A different judge is expected to handle Thursday’s hearing on Anthony’s motion for a new trial.
The recusal fight has been developing for weeks. According to WFAA, Senior Judge Sid L. Harle of Texas’ 226th District Court had previously been assigned to determine whether Roach should remain involved in Anthony’s post-trial proceedings after Roach declined to voluntarily step aside. Anthony’s legal team argued that an independent judge should consider its claims about how the original trial was conducted.
Karmelo Anthony appeared at Wednesday’s hearing wearing a green prison jumpsuit, while both his parents and Metcalf’s parents were present in the courtroom, according to the AP. After the order removing Roach was issued, supporters of Anthony celebrated in the courthouse hallways and outside the building.
The next legal battle centers on whether the issues raised by Anthony’s defense are serious enough to justify throwing out the conviction and holding another trial. According to NBC 5 Dallas Fort Worth, Anthony’s attorneys have also challenged a disputed pretrial understanding between prosecutors and the defense that they say affected major strategic decisions during the murder trial.
NBC 5 reported that Anthony’s trial attorney said the two sides had reached what was described as a handshake agreement concerning evidence that would remain outside the case. According to the attorney’s account in a later court filing, the defense changed its strategy after prosecutors allegedly moved away from that understanding. The filing says those developments contributed to the decision not to put Karmelo Anthony on the witness stand. Those allegations are part of the defense position and have not, by themselves, overturned the jury’s verdict.
Anthony did not testify during the nearly weeklong trial. According to the AP’s coverage of the proceedings, prosecutors portrayed him as the aggressor while his attorneys argued he acted in self-defense after the confrontation became physical. The jury ultimately rejected the self-defense argument and found him guilty of murder.
The confrontation happened during a rainy April 2025 track meet attended by students from several Frisco area high schools. According to testimony, Anthony was sitting beneath a tent being used by Memorial High School when Metcalf and other students repeatedly told him to leave. Witnesses described the verbal exchange as escalating before physical contact occurred.
According to a police report cited by the AP, Anthony reached inside a bag during the confrontation and said, “Touch me and see what happens.” Witnesses testified that Metcalf then pushed Anthony and that Anthony pulled out a knife and stabbed Metcalf in the chest. Prosecutors argued that Anthony had provoked the confrontation, while the defense maintained that the physical contact left him believing he needed to protect himself.
Video released after the trial later gave the public another look at what happened immediately after the stabbing. The AP reported that stadium surveillance footage showed Anthony running from the bleachers and later meeting with other people before approaching police. Officer body camera footage showed Anthony crying while being taken into custody and saying, “He put his hands on me. I told him not to. He put his hands on me.”
The case has generated intense national attention since Metcalf’s death. The AP reported that social media discussion frequently framed the killing through race because Anthony is Black and Metcalf was white. Attorneys on both sides, however, told jurors during the trial that the killing was not about race.
Anthony was 17 when the stabbing occurred. According to the AP, a Collin County grand jury indicted him on a murder charge in June 2025. His attorney at the time, Mike Howard, maintained before trial that the evidence would support reasonable doubt over whether Anthony acted in self-defense. That argument was ultimately unsuccessful before the jury.
The conviction did not end the legal fight. Collin County’s official court information confirms that hearings connected to Karmelo Anthony’s post-trial proceedings were scheduled for August 19 and August 20, with the court preparing special procedures because of the level of public and media interest surrounding the case.
Now, with Roach removed, attention shifts to the new trial motion and whether Anthony’s attorneys can convince another judge that alleged problems surrounding courtroom access, judicial impartiality, and trial strategy were serious enough to undermine the original proceedings. The 35-year sentence remains in effect unless the court grants relief or Anthony later succeeds through the appellate process.
