​ Gary Indiana Residents Sound The Alarm On Power Outage
  • Home
    • News
    • Entertainment
    • The Baller Alert Show
    • Baller Alert Lists
    • Baller Alert Exclusives
    • Ballerific Music
    • That’s Baller
    • Fashion
    • Metaverse
    • Tech
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Op-Ed
    • Travel
    • Health
  • EVENTS
  • Videos
  • Shop
  • ChatBot
  • About
  • Political News
  • en español
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • News
    • Entertainment
    • The Baller Alert Show
    • Baller Alert Lists
    • Baller Alert Exclusives
    • Ballerific Music
    • That’s Baller
    • Fashion
    • Metaverse
    • Tech
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Op-Ed
    • Travel
    • Health
  • EVENTS
  • Videos
  • Shop
  • ChatBot
  • About
  • Political News
  • en español
No Result
View All Result
Baller Alert
No Result
View All Result

Thousands In Gary, Indiana Are Still Without Power After Historic Storm: Residents Say Their Crisis Is Being Ignored

The August 11 derecho devastated Northwest Indiana’s electrical system, leaving thousands in Gary without power as residents document spoiled food, dark streets, safety fears and family hardships online.

Lacy J by Lacy J
August 20, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 5 mins read
Thousands In Gary, Indiana Are Still Without Power After Historic Storm: Residents Say Their Crisis Is Being Ignored

Thousands In Gary, Indiana Are Still Without Power After Historic Storm: Residents Say Their Crisis Is Being Ignored

Thousands of people in Gary, Indiana, are entering another day without electricity while residents use TikTok to show the reality of living through a blackout that has stretched well beyond what many families expected. The Gary power outage began after a powerful storm tore through Northwest Indiana on August 11, knocking down trees, utility poles and power lines across the region.

Video

According to the National Weather Service, the storm system was classified as a derecho because of its widespread and long-lasting destructive winds. At 11:09 a.m. Central Time on August 11, a wind gust of 99 mph was measured at Gary Chicago International Airport. The weather service said straight-line winds caused extensive damage across Northwest Indiana, while the larger storm system also produced tornadoes elsewhere in the region.

The damage was severe enough to overwhelm a major portion of NIPSCO’s electrical system. The City of Gary said approximately 301,000 NIPSCO customers were initially affected by the storm. By August 18, about 75 percent of those customers had been restored, but tens of thousands remained without electricity.

The numbers have continued to fall, but the Gary power outage remains one of the region’s most serious trouble spots. An August 20 NIPSCO update cited by NewsOne said approximately 63,500 customers remained without electricity across the utility’s service territory Thursday. A day earlier, the Associated Press reported that more than 20,000 customers were still without power in Gary alone.

There is also now a clearer answer for residents asking when the lights will come back on. NIPSCO’s latest community restoration estimate lists Gary for full restoration by August 25 at 11:59 p.m., according to NewsOne. That does not mean every Gary household will remain without power until that deadline. Service is being restored neighborhood by neighborhood as repairs are completed, but some customers could remain without electricity until the August 25 target.

That timeline is later than NIPSCO’s earlier system-wide goal of completing restoration by August 21. The reason, according to the Associated Press, is the amount of physical infrastructure that must be rebuilt in Gary. NIPSCO officials said roughly 300 utility poles and 44 transmission poles in the city need to be repaired or replaced because of the storm. Melody Birmingham, an executive with NIPSCO parent company NiSource, described the work plainly: “These aren’t simple repairs. These are systems that are being rebuilt.”

While crews work through that damage, TikTok has become a window into what the Gary power outage actually looks like inside people’s homes. The Black Information Network reported that Gary resident Aja, who posts on TikTok as @.aja_ba, has been documenting the outage in real time. In one video, she wrote, “Day 6 no power Gary Indiana. Pitch black dark for miles. No gas, no food, no power.” In later posts, she showed an empty refrigerator and said she had been unable to find either a hotel room or a generator for several nights.

@.aja_baTornado Relief efforts. ca $Dollhouse Bodies The situation is becoming extremely unsafe ! Indiana has basically given up on Gary Indiana after a massive tornado took the power out

♬ original sound – ⭐️👁️🇬🇧BILLIONAIREPROPHETESS

Aja has also shared how the outage is affecting her family. According to the Black Information Network, she said she has an autistic daughter and described how the loss of electricity, air conditioning, and their normal routine has made the situation harder at home. She also said a tree damaged her roof during the storm, leaving openings in the house while the family dealt with heat and humidity.

Other Gary parents have described similar disruptions. WNDU and FPI News reported that Brandi and David Murray were at their Gary home with their two children when high winds sent trees crashing into power lines and onto their property. After the storm, the family traveled to find gasoline and later used Southlake Mall to charge electronics while waiting for service to return.

The situation has attracted attention well outside Gary. According to the Black Information Network, food creator Keith Lee addressed the blackout on TikTok and questioned why Gary’s prolonged outage had not received more national attention. Lee said he had been communicating with the mayor’s office and the Salvation Army about the possibility of bringing supplies to the city.

Residents are also raising serious safety concerns as neighborhoods remain dark. NewsOne reported that a social media user identified as Asha claimed residents were being robbed for generators and said her family had stocked up on battery-powered lanterns and flashlights. Other online posts have circulated allegations of break-ins and theft during the outage. Those reports should be distinguished from confirmed police information. As of August 20, Baller Alert found no public bulletin on the Gary Police Department’s news page confirming a widespread surge of generator thefts or home burglaries tied specifically to the blackout. Individual incidents may still have been reported to police, but the broader claims circulating online have not been independently verified.

One serious security incident involving restoration crews has been confirmed. CBS News Chicago reported that two NIPSCO employees were scouting damage early August 15 when someone fired at their vehicle in Gary. The Jeep was struck twice, including one bullet that lodged in a headrest, according to police. No workers were injured, and authorities said it was unclear whether the employees were intentionally targeted. NIPSCO temporarily paused restoration work in Gary before crews returned later that afternoon with increased law enforcement support.

The shooting created another obstacle, but NIPSCO has pointed to the extraordinary storm damage, not the shooting, as the primary reason Gary faces a longer restoration schedule. The Associated Press reported that more than 600 linemen were working on restoration in the city. NIPSCO has also rejected claims circulating online that Gary is being deliberately pushed aside because it is a majority Black or lower-income community, saying restoration priorities are based on where the storm damaged the electrical system.

For residents, those explanations do not make refrigerators work, replace spoiled groceries, or make dark homes easier for children, grandparents, and other vulnerable family members. The videos coming from Gary are documenting a disaster at the household level, one meal, one flashlight and one charged phone at a time.

With NIPSCO’s latest estimate placing full restoration in Gary on August 25, some families affected by the Gary power outage could spend nearly two weeks waiting for normal electricity service to return.

Short Link: https://balleralert.com/o5or
Previous Post

Former BMF Key Player Chad “J Bo” Brown Charged After 53 Kilos Of Cocaine Seized In St. Louis

Next Post

Cardi B Wants Her Kids Ready To Fight For Her, Claressa Shields Says “Bring ’Em To Me”

Lacy J

Lacy J

I go by the name Lacy J. Opinion pieces are my thing. I speak on politics and entertainment with a real, unfiltered perspective, breaking down what’s happening in a way that’s clear, direct, and actually relevant to the culture.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Download Baller Alert App

Chat with Baller Alert Bot
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • News
    • Entertainment
    • The Baller Alert Show
    • Baller Alert Lists
    • Baller Alert Exclusives
    • Ballerific Music
    • That’s Baller
    • Fashion
    • Metaverse
    • Tech
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Op-Ed
    • Travel
    • Health
  • EVENTS
  • Videos
  • Shop
  • ChatBot
  • About
  • Political News
  • en español